August 23, 2013

Excaliber Adventures and my First Raw Vegan Veggie Burger!

I have had my Excalibur Dehydrator for about a week now and I love, love, love it.  You just plop your ingredients on the try and go to sleep, and you wake up to yummy, healthy goodness.  With Ani Phyo's "Raw Food Essentials" in hand, I first made her rye flatbread, which is simple and gets its rye flavour from the sprinkling of caraway seeds sprinkled on top before dehydrating.  Next I made her sunburger with sunflower seeds, chia seeds, hemp seeds and chopped veggies, held together by ground flax and seasoned with with oregano.

The result is tasty and light and is dairy and grain free. 

As for the dehydrator - its pretty easy to use.  Timing is the toughest aspect - how long certain textures and ingredients need to get to the desired doneness without becoming too crispy and without remaining too moist based on what you are going for.  You'd think that wouldn't be too tough when dehydrating times are measured in hours not minutes, but I'd say its harder.  You can't just keep an eye on your food and check for doneness every few minutes.  But at some point your wilty kale chips become perfectly crispy. 

I have a ton more to learn as I experiment, but I can tell already, its going to be fun :)


Pin It Now!

No comments:

Post a Comment