November 05, 2012

Recipe: Curry Potato Hand Pies


My husband has had the idea of a curry hand pie in his head for the past week, and has asked me if I would try to make them. 

I use soy-free Earth Balance (vegan butter) to make my butter crust.  Because this is a savoury pie, and to give some more texture to the crust, I used part whole wheat and part all purpose flour.  I cracked some fresh pepper into the dough as well.  This crust is easy: I just use my food processor (I know, I'm a bit obsessed with the food processor).  I'm just always looking for shortcuts since I only have so much time and my attention is usually divided.  You just turn it on, pour in the ICE COLD water while its running, and voila, a perfect crust ball forms.  Its usually a pretty soft crust ball, so I put it in the fridge in a saran-wrapped disc for an hour or so while I made the filling.



For the filling, peel, cube and boil the potatoes for about 10 minutes until soft when pierced with a fork.  Heat your oil in a frying pan and fry your ginger and spices until they are nicely fragrant.  Add 2 tbsp of water.  Add the drained potatoes and smash/crumble slightly with the back of a spoon, and add the frozen peas.  Stir well to coat, and fry for 3-5 minutes until peas are soft, potatoes are well coated, and water is evaporated.  Remove from heat and cool to room temperature.



Once dough has chilled, preheat oven to 375 degrees and line pan with parchment paper.  Roll dough to 1/8 inch thickness and cut into 5 inch rounds (I used a bowl). You'll have to gather the dough scraps and re-roll until you have 3 large rounds.  I used the last ball of scraps to make a small hand pie for my little guy.  Place rounds on parchment-lined pan.  Scoop about 1/2 cup of filling onto each round and fold into semi-circle, sealing edges like so:



Bake for 35-40 min at 375 until golden brown.  And boy do they smell good when they are cooking! Cool on cooling rack and enjoy.



Curry Potato Hand Pies
Makes 3 pies

Dough
1c all purpose flour
1/3 c whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp salt
fresh ground pepper
1/2 c Earth Balance (vegan butter)
9 tbsp ice cold water

Filling
3 small or 2 large potatoes, peeled and cubed into 1/2 inch pieces
1 tbsp olive oil
1/2 tsp grated fresh ginger
1 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp coriander powder
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp garam masala
pinch cayenne
1/3 c frozen peas
1 tbsp earth balance, melted

To make dough, combine flours, salt, pepper and Earth Balance in food processor and blend until crumbs form.  While processor is running, add water slowly.  Dough will stick together.  Turn out onto floured surface and form into a flat disc.  Wrap with plastic wrap and chill for 1 hour.

To make filling, boil potatoes for 7-10 minutes until soft.  Heat oil in frying pan.  Add ginger, chilli powder, cumin, salt, garam masala, and cayenne.  Cook for 2 min, stirring often, until fragrant.  Add boiled potatoes and peas, slighly mashing potatoes while you stir to coat evenly.  Cook for 5 min then remove from heat and let cool to room temperature.

Preheat oven to 375 and line a pan with parchment paper.  Roll dough to 1/8 inch thickness.  Cut into 5 inch rounds.  Gather and roll dough scraps as necessary until you have 3 dough circles.  Place circles on parchment-lined baking pan. Spoon approx 1/2 c filling onto each circle and fold into semi-circle, pressing to seal around edges.  Brush with melted earth balance and bake for 35-40 min until golden brown.  Transfer to cooling rack. Pin It Now!

1 comment:

  1. Those look incredible!! Hrmmm gluten-free version forthcoming? ;-)

    -A

    ReplyDelete